I am writing to thank you for your donations to the “Earthquake Appeal” by Life in Abundance (Ecuador) Trust (LIAT) on behalf of the victims of the 2016 earthquake in Ecuador. The earthquake caused great devastation and many hundreds of people lost their lives. There is now some returning to normality, but it will take years to rebuild the housing stock and much longer to rebuild lives devastated by the loss of dear ones.
Your donations were a great help in alleviating the suffering
Altogether $5550 was received from LIAT in Ecuador.
It was spent on
1. Basic food supplies. We bought rice, pasta, dried milk, pulses, sugar, oil, tins of fish and other essentials and packed them into bags. These were designed to last a family for a week. They were distributed to refugees living around the earthquake zone. The area covered was around Pedernales, a coastal town which took the brunt of the quake. We spent around $1000 on these provisions.
2. Building reconstruction.
· We gave $900 to a church in Pedernales to help with their rebuilding work
· We helped an elderly lady in Pedernales with her house rebuilding project. Her daughter, Anita, has looked after young volunteers staying on short term mission with Latin Link (STEP teams) I visited the family earlier this year with a team from the charity; needless to say, they were very happy with the help they had received and with their new home. We gave $2650 for this project.
· We also helped Martha Monar in Quininde (another town affected by the earthquake) with repairs to her house. This lady hosted a STEP team in 2012. We gave her $1000.
· This makes a total of $4550.00 donated to building projects.
|Earthquake Damage in Pedernales|
Thank you once again for your help with this appeal. Your donations have made a real difference.
May I wish you all a very Joyful Christmas and a Happy New Year.